I have not been diligent with blog posts lately. I am becoming a weekend blogger. Each day at work feels like it contains about three weeks worth of tasks to be done. There are many plates to be kept spinning in the air, plus the occasional clean-up of one or two that crash to the floor now and then. This is not a complaint. I am grateful to be working at all. It’s just that by the time I get home, make dinner, take care of a few evening chores, there is not much energy left to write, so I enjoy everyone else’s instead.
A couple of weeks ago, Grey Horse Matters posted a questionnaire that was fun to read and more fun to do. They brought back some good memories of younger years and riding so many different horses:
1. How old were you when you first started riding? In my early twenties. On a whim with a friend to fulfill a childhood dream, we drove to a nearby riding facility and never looked back.
2. First horse ridden: Ratso
3. First horse trotted on: Tuffee (quarter horse/draft cross–everyone’s fave)
4. First horse cantered on: Tuffee
5. First Horse fallen off of: Lady, a Tennessee Walker, for pete’s sake. Riding bareback for the first time. Very embarrassing.
6. Most recent horse fallen off of: Never-die Adonis, an Arab worthy of the name.
7. Most terrifying fall: My own TB, Dandy
8. First horse jumped with: Wendy
9. First horse who ran away with you: Buck
10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: Buck
11. First horse shown :!) Dandy
12. First horse to win a class with: Sadly; never won a class.
13. Do you/have you taken lessons: Yup.
14. First horse you ever rode bareback: The Tennessee Walker I fell off.
15. First horse trail ridden with: Trebor (robert spelled backwards)
16. Current Barn name: Don’t have a barn.
17. Do you ride English or western?: English
18. First Horse to place at a show with: Bayern
19. Ever been to horse camp?: No
20. Ever been to a riding clinic? Yes; both in Western & Dressage
21. Ridden sidesaddle? No. Looks beautiful but scary.
First horse leased: Forgot name. A lovely TB mare.
Last Horse Leased: Chip
24. Highest ribbon in a show: Third and as a beginner adult rider,am still proud of it.
25. Ever been to an ‘A’ rated show?: Oh, no….
26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races?: No but looks fun.
27. Ever fallen off at a show: No
Do you ride Hunter/Jumpers?: No.
Have you ever barrel raced?No but it looks like fun too.
30. Ever done pole bending?: No.
31. Favorite gait: Extended trot
32. Ever cantered bareback?: Oh no….
33. Have you ever done dressage?: Yes
34. Have you ever evented?: I prefer to live long.
35. Have you ever mucked a stall?: Yes. Lots. In fact, I enjoy this work.
36. Ever been bucked off?: Almost.
37. Ever been on a horse that reared: Yes, but stuck.
38. Horses or ponies. Horses, usually; sometimes ponies.
39. Do you wear a helmet?: I do now.
40. What’s the highest you’ve jumped: About a foot.
41. Have you ever ridden at night?: Yes, a long time ago after a few glasses of wine with a horse-owning friend.
42. Do you watch horsey television shows?: Yes, as long as they are not tragic.
43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall?: No, thank God.
44. Most falls in one lesson: One
45. Do you ride in an arena/ring?: Yes
46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse?: No
47. Have you ever been bitten?: Not badly.
48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse?: Yup. Broken toes.
49: Favorite riding moment: Riding alone in the early morning in spring.
50. Most fun horse you’ve ridden: Flying High, who taught me how to canter properly.